Tuesday, May 16

Tacos!

Mexican border deployment? Hell yeah I'd go!

  1. Sure, you're still in the desert and its hotter than hell, but you're not half-way around the world like I am now.
  2. You're in the United States. Cell phones, TV, Radio, all that fun stuff. Sure, they have it here (sort of) but its just not the same.
  3. beer, Wal-Mart, Target, cervezas, you get the idea. None of those in Iraq (yet)
  4. Tacos. Tacos. Tacos. I don't know why, but I've been craving Tacos for the last month. Since our food comes in boxes labeled by number and made to serve 50+, I'm pretty sure I won't be getting them any time soon.

The only down side to the deployment is they are only going to be filling training and admin slots, not going out on patrols and doing fun infantry stuff. Then again, if they did I'm sure the ROE (rules of engagement) would be so outlandish you would have to take 3 shots to your IBA (Interceptor Body Armor) and 1 to the leg and then get authorization from President Bush himself before you could shoot back.

In other news, I've found a dependable way to tell when its time to do laundry. If my blouse and pants stand up on their own, its time to do a load. Now before you brand me the “stinky Soldier”, remember I live in a desert where it's easier to drill into the ground and hit oil than hit water. On top of that we were told we are only allotted a gallon of water a day. I have yet to figure out how to take a shower, brush my teeth, shave, flush the toilet, and wash my hands on only a gallon a day. If anyone figures out how to do this, let me know.

I've been asked, how are you happy living out in the middle of nowhere in a desert? You learn how to make it work, and how to be happy. PT is a must. You have to work out to stay healthy. Keep yourself busy. Have someone mail the book you've always planned on reading but never did. Listen to music. Play Xbox. Watch a movie. Play more Xbox. You get the idea. We do encounter dangers here (dangers I will not mention). Learn to keep yourself busy, concentrate on what needs to be done, and work toward getting home safely, one day at a time.

1 Comments:

At Friday, 26 May, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JR
You stink and that's okay. Drink your water. In the desert you probably need more than a gallon anyway. Let me know where to send you shout wipes and hand sanitizer....
Drink.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home